arrived at Hanbridge Railway Station, which was a tempest of traffic that
Saturday before Bank Holiday. The whole of the five towns appeared to be
Arnold Bennett - "Under
area on the Loop Line - 1898
The purple line running of the
loop line was the original line from Etruria into Hanley opening to goods
on the 20th of December 1861 and passengers on the 13th of July 1864 -
nearly 10 years before the loop line proper opened from Hanley to Burslem
and then on through Tunstall to Kidsgrove.
This original line
terminated in a station on the south side of Trinity Street (shown in
green) - on the
opposite side of the road from the Grand Hotel.
When the loop line was
taken on to Burslem the line was run under Trinity Street and a new
station (shown in light blue) was built in a deep cutting next to the
A price of £1,600 was
submitted in June 1872 for the new Hanley station alongside the Grand
Hotel - this was though to be too much and by reducing the length of the
covered roof the cost was reduced to £1,200.
In comparison the much
larger and grander station at Burslem costs just under £5,000
Hanley in 1947
photo: The Warrillow Collection -
Keele University Library
many of the features on
the 1898 map above can be identified on this photo
- the track on the near right is the original line terminated in a station
on the south side of Trinity Street.
The loop line curves off to the left, the Grand Hotel can be seen in the
upper centre and behind it the tower of St. John's Church on Town Road
(the High Street)
Hanley station "in
a deep cutting and on a very sharp curve"
photo: Trevor Ford - taken in the early 1960's not long after
the line closed
photo looking towards Cobridge
The curve was on a very
tight 175 yards radius which limited the size of locomotives which could
run on the loop line.
Hanley station slowly rots away summer 1975
looking towards Hanley, a small part of the Grand Hotel just visible on
The newly build civic centre - Unity House can be seen - below Unity House
are the Goods Sheds on the opposite side of Trinity Street.
The chimney of Masons pottery works on Broad Street can also be seen.