Stoke-on-Trent - photo of the week


contents: 2011 photos


click for
previous
photos

Advert of the Week
Potworks of the Week


CERAM 
British Ceramic Research Association

 


The main building of the British Ceramic Research Association in Queens Road, Penkhull
The main building of the British Ceramic Research Association in Queens Road, Penkhull 
 
officially opened in December 1951 by H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh.

 


 

 

 

the British Ceramic Research Association - created in April 1948
the British Ceramic Research Association - created in April 1948 

the British Ceramic Research Association was created by the fusion of the 
British Refractories Research Association, which had been in existence since 1920 
and the British Pottery Research Association, which was founded in 1937.

 


now known as CERAM
  CERAM 
CERAM was the trading name of CERAM Research Ltd, a subsidiary of British Ceramic Research Ltd.

 


 


In February 2014 Ceram, M+P Labs and CICS joined together under the name Lucideon

 


 

In 1939 the British Ceramic Research Association opened a research station in a converted late-Victorian house in Queen's Road, Penkhull, the house bears the date 1893.
In 1939 the British Ceramic Research Association opened a research station in a 
converted late-Victorian house in Queen's Road, Penkhull, the house bears the date 1893.

- the building is currently [2011] occupied by the NHS - 



detail of the imposing entrance to the main CERAM buildings on Queens Street, Penkhull

 

 

detail of the imposing entrance to the main CERAM buildings on Queens Street, Penkhull

detail of the imposing entrance to the main CERAM buildings on Queens Street, Penkhull
photos: Ian Pearsall

 

 

The British Ceramic Research Association

1920 - The British Refractories Research Association was formed.

1937 - As a condition of increased protection the pottery industry was required by the Import Duties Advisory Committee in 1937 to create a research association. In 1939 the British Ceramic Research Association opened a research station in a converted late-Victorian house in Queen's Road, Penkhull.   

1948 - In April 1948 the British Ceramic Research Association was created by the fusion of the British Refractories Research Association, which had been in existence since 1920 and the British Pottery Research Association, which was founded in 1937.

The joining together of the two associations resulted from a realization that the ceramic industry might best be served by a single research organization.

1951 - An imposing new building was erected in 194750 and officially opened in 1951 by H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh.   

1986 - In May 1986 the name was changed to British Ceramic Research Ltd and have since been using the trading name CERAM Research (now CERAM Research Ltd).

2014 -  In February 2014 Ceram, M+P Labs and CICS joined together under the name Lucideon


 

 

 the main CERAM buildings on Queens Street, Penkhull
 the main CERAM buildings on Queens Street, Penkhull
built in 194750

 

testing laboratories of CERAM - opposite the main buildings
testing laboratories of CERAM - opposite the main buildings


contents: 2011 photos


 

Related pages..


Penkhull: Josiah Spode & the Mount Estate
A look at The Mount - home and estate created by Josiah Spode II (1754-1827), master potter, of Stoke and also to examine the relationship between the estate and the village of Penkhull.


also see..

Advert of the Week
Potworks of the Week


external links..

CERAM - Based in Penkhull Stoke-on-Trent CERAM is at the forefront of  ceramic  materials testing, research, process engineering, product design and failure analysis.