Famous Potters of Stoke-on-Trent
NOTE: Don't confuse J&G Meakin with Alfred Meakin of Tunstall
|J & G Meakin|
saw a partnership between James Meakin and John Proctor at Lane End, Longton.
In 1846 James Meakin moved to the Newtown Pottery in Longton and then to Cannon Street in Hanley.
The firm J & G Meakin was founded in 1851 when he was joined by his two sons James and George. When the father died the business was moved to Market Street, Hanley.
The two brothers were quick to realise the potentials of the export market and the business grew rapidly. George went to America to set up the sales market. James remained in England and managed the pottery works and the shipping.
Barges tied up at the J & G Meakin Eastwood Pottery, Hanley. 1952
The canal is the Caldon.
The business grew so well that a new factory was built on the side of the
Caldon canal and so the Eagle Pottery was built in Hanley in 1859.
Potteries were often built on the canal side so that the raw materials could be brought in and finished ware could be taken to Liverpool for export.
Later the Eastwood works were purchased which was founded by another brother, Charles.
Meakin's main product was white granite dinner and tea ware. The 'Wheat Design' with its embossed wheat-ears and leaves was an early favourite, since it was both tough and elegant.
Meakins remained a family form for 100 years and earned a reputation for treating its employees well. The firm donated £5000 towards Hanley Park (1892-7), land for the former St. Michael's Church and provided the Organ for the Victoria Hall, Hanley.
1968 Meakins joined with Midwinters. In 1970 they were taken over by the Wedgwood group. The Eagle factory still operates today producing everyday tableware.
Other relevant links
Photographs of the Eagle Pottery
Old aerial photographs of the Eagle Pottery
Wedgwood Internet site: www.wedgwood.co.uk
questions / comments? email: Steve Birks