Longton - Stoke-on-Trent
In March, 1865. Longton and Lane End were
incorporated as the Borough of Longton ('long village').
Arnold Bennett referred to Longton as Longshaw in his novels centered on the Potteries towns.
|Also see: 'the Six Towns' - Longton|
|The resources and transcripts on this page are from GenUKI - the leading Internet genealogical resource in the UK|
A surname index only of the 1851 census for Longton is included in the 1851 Staffordshire Census Surname Index Vol 5, Stoke on Trent Part 2, published by the Birmingham and Midland SGH.
Longton 10,393, Lane-End, 1,952
Longton became part of Stoke-upon-Trent Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
FROM PIGOT'S TYPOLOGY OF ENGLAND IN 1841 - Staffordshire and the Potteries
END and LONGTON are two
townships, forming a populous and thriving market town, in the parish of
Stoke; situate at the southern extremity of the Potteries, four miles
south east from Newcastle, on the road between that town and Uttoxeter.
This place has risen to opulence and importance, within a comparatively
few years, by the prosperous manufactures which distinguish this district.
The Trent and Mersey canal passes about two miles westward from the town;
and through it runs a small stream, on which are several mils grinding
flint. The chapel is a brick edifice, rebuilt about the year 1795, and
subsequently enlarged; the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage
of certain trustees.
An additional church was erected a few years since. There are places of worship for the several denominations of methodists, and for baptists, independents and Roman Catholics. In a free school founded by John Bourne, Esq., in 1760, forty children of both sexes are instructed; and there is another conducted upon the national plan. The markets are held on Wednesday and Saturday; the latter is the principal, and is well supplied with provisions of all kinds.
Data from Pigots supplied by: Dr David Alan Gatley (Staffs University)
From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851
Church of England History
Longton St. James"Longton Church, St James, is a large and handsome stone fabric, which was built by the Government Commissioners in 1833-4, in the style which prevailed in the 14th century.
The benefit is a rectory, in the patronage of Mrs Dr Camidge, and incumbency of the Rev Benjamin Vale, LLD."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Cemetery: A transcript of the Memorial Inscriptions of St James, Longton, has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH
Longton St. John"Lane-End Church, or, as it is now called, St John's, Longton, was founded and endowed by John Bourne, Esq, in 1764, but it was rebuilt in 1792, and enlarged in 1827. It is a neat and spacious brick structure, and has a tower with a peal of eight bells.
The benefit is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of trustees, and incumbency of the Rev William Ford, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Cemetery: A transcript of the Memorial Inscriptions of St John, Longton, has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH
Nonconformist Church History
"The Roman Catholic Chapel, St Gregory, in Gregory Street, was erected in 1818, in the Gothic Style, but was considerably enlarged and beautified about 15 years ago, when a brick tower was added, and again in 1850, when a Lady Chapel was added, with a new stone altar. The Rev E Daniel is the priest.
The Independent Chapel, in Caroline Street, was built in 1819, and is now under the ministry of the Rev Samuel Jones. The Wesleyans have a large and handsome brick chapel in Stafford Street, with a stone portico, erected in lieu of their old chapel in Chapel Street. They also have a smaller chapel in High Street. The New Connexion Methodists have chapels in Commerce Street and New Street, and the Association Methodists have a small place of worship here."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Records
Longton, St James was a chapelry to Longton, St John.
The register of St James, Longton, commences in 1834. The original registers for the period 1834-1909 (Bapts), 1837-1913 (Mar) & 1834-1915 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts 1834-1839 are deposited at Lichfield Joint Record Office.
Longton, St John was known as Lane-End church until the end of the 19th century and was a chapelry in Stoke-upon-Trent parish. It became a parish in its own right in 1839.
The register of St John, Longton, commences in 1764. The original registers for the period 1764-1976 (Bapts), 1866-1973 (Mar) & 1764-1975 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts (Bapts & Bur only), 1764-1868 (with gaps 1773-1794 & 1854-1855) are deposited at Lichfield Joint Record Office.
Nonconformist Church Records
The original registers are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office (SRO) or the Public Record Office (PRO) as indicated below:
Commerce Street, Zion Chapel, Longton, Methodist New Connexion, Marriages 1899-1938 (SRO)
East Vale, Longton, Wesleyan Methodist, Marriages 1926-1946 (SRO)
Caroline Street, Lane End, Independent, Births & Baptisms 1819-1837 (PRO)
New Street, Longton, Methodist New Connexion, Births & Baptisms 1811-1837 (PRO)
Flint Street Chapel, Longton, Primitive Methodist, Births & Baptisms 1829-1837 (PRO)
High Street, Longton, Wesleyan Methodist, Births & Baptisms 1811-1837 (PRO)
The original registers of Longton, St Gregory, Roman Catholic church for the period 1822-1914 (Bapts), 1866-1901 (Confirmations), 1837-1930 (Mar) & 1856-1951 (Deaths) are deposited at Birmingham Diocesan Archives.
'A History of Longton. Part 1: The Birth of a Community'
by John HY Briggs
Published 1982, by Dept of Adult Education, University of Keele.
'Longton Potters, 1700-1865'
by Rodney Hampson
Published 1990, by Stoke-on-Trent City Museum & Art Gallery.
'The Sylvac Story. The History & Products of Shaw & Copestake Ltd, Sylvan Works, Longton, & Thomas Lawrence Ltd, Falcon Works, Longton, 1894-1982'
by Susan Jean Verbeek
Revised Ed Published 1995, by Pottery Publications, London.
[The history of the City of Stoke-on-Trent]
[Tunstall] [Burslem] [Hanley] [Fenton] [Longton] [Stoke]
Questions and comments to: Steve Birks: email@example.com