Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week
Steelite International, Orme Street, Burslem
Steelite International was established in 1983, following the purchase of the hotelware division of Royal Doulton by David Johnson.
Steelite is a leading supplier of table ware from its Orme Street Works in
In 2010, Steelite International employed over 750 people in the UK as well as 74 employees overseas. In addition to buoyant sales in this country, Steelite International now supplies its leading tableware to over 130 countries worldwide. Its products can be seen in some of the world's leading establishments including the Four Seasons and Hilton Hotels, the Emirates Stadium, O2 Arena and onboard the Queen Victoria ocean liner.
The vast majority of employees at Steelite International enjoy long lengths of service with the company. Over 10 per cent of the current staff in 2010 actually worked for the company during its days as part of Royal Doulton.
The frontage of Steelite - on Newcastle Street, Burslem
Steelite occupies three works
- on the canal side is the Dale Hall Works and the Albany Works
and on Newcastle Street the Dale Hall Pottery.
The Dale Hall and Albany Works on the canal side 1930 - 1950 (c.)
The importance of the canals to the ceramic industry is well illustrated by the photograph: piles of ceramic wares and bottle kilns line the water's edge.
© Staffordshire Past Tracks
Steelite Works -2008 on the canal side
closer to the photographer is the Albany Works
The remaining buildings of the Dale Hall Works
some of these buildings can be identified in the 1930-50 photo above
The Dale Hall Works 1910 - 1950 (c.)
The Trent and Mersey canal was built by James Brindley between 1766 and 1777 and transported raw materials and finished goods to and from a large number of pottery factories in Stoke-on-Trent. The factory in the centre of this picture is Dunn Bennett Pottery and the one to the right is Longport Pottery.
© Staffordshire Past Tracks
The same view in 2008
all the factories are now owned by Steelite
1898 OS map of the Dalehall area
St. Paul's parish church is clearly seen in the top right centre of the map.
Adjoining the church and marked in dark blue is the Dale Hall Brick and Tile Works the green lines are Dale Street and Hall Street - indicative of the name of the district
To the left the purple area is Portland House
The Pottery works of the Dale Hall Pottery and Dale Hall Works are marked in light blue and red adjoining the Dale Hall Works on the Trent and Mersey Canal is the Albany Works
In the bottom right centre is The Newport Street Works of Wood & Sons
Google Maps 2008 map of the Dalehall area
St. Paul's parish church can easily located - unfortunately the "large and handsome Gothic edifice" of 1828 shown in the 1898 map was demolished in 1974 and replaces with a uninspiring shed of a building.
marked in dark blue is the location of the old Dale Hall Brick and Tile Works the green lines show the still existent Dale Street and Hall Street - indicative of the name of the district
To the left Portland House is still existent and marked in purple
Steelite now occupy the three pottery works of the Dale Hall Pottery, the Dale Hall Works and the Albany Works
In the bottom right centre the location of the now demolished works of Wood & Sons is shown in yellow
Dalehall factory exterior with a view of a calcining kiln. 1975 - 1976 (c.)
Taken at Royal Doulton's Dalehall Works, Stoke-on-Trent. Calcining is the process of heating bone or flint to soften it for grinding down into a powder. Bone and flint powder are added to clay.If bone is added the finished ware is white and translucent. These are the main characteristics of bone china. Flint powder helps moisture to escape the clay when it is fired. This stops the clay bursting.
© Gladstone Pottery Museum Photographic Collection
Pottery factory exterior with a view of the bottle ovens at the Dalehall Works
Dunn Bennett occupied the Dalehall Works c.1937 - 1998
Bennett manufactured earthenware and Ironstone for both the home and
American markets. Their products were of high quality; and having retail
establishments in both countries they were in a position to cater
successfully for both countries.
They became part of the Royal Doulton Group and then eventually ceased operation - the last occupied works (Dalehall Works) became the site of the new Steellite hotel ware manufacturing and warehousing site.
Dalehall Works entrance of Steelite International
in Yale Street, Middleport, Burslem.
photos: Oct 1999
The rear of the Steelite factory on the Trent & Mersey Canal,
showing the blending of the old and new.
The new warehousing was completed in 1999.
Steelite's Made in England, Made for Life - 2010 campaign
Steelite - was a Member of the Royal Doulton Group
Royal Doulton, Steelite Coffee Cup
Steelite was originally a trade name of Royal Doulton
and used on their hotel and catering ware
1947 map showing the pottery works in the Dalehall area of Burslem