Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week
Works of Taylor & Kent, High Street, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent
Florence Works and initial stones: "W T"
cast iron lintle and date "1876" over the entrance gate to the works
to the Florence Works
Uttoxeter Road (was the High Street), Longton
'a vaguely Gothic design'
photos: Dean Brindley
Road, Longton c.2010
the red circle marks the location of the Florence Works
The location of the Florence Works ....
Normacot end of Uttoxeter Road (was the High Street) in 1922
map from 1947 Pottery Gazette & Glass Trade Review
- 24 marks the Florence Works
The Florence Works of Taylor & Kent
23 Avon Art Pottery, Ltd. / Elektra Porcelain Co., Ltd.
24 Taylor & Kent
25 Blyth Pottery (Longton), Ltd.
26 Thos. C. Wild & Sons, Ltd.
The Florence Works when in operation ....
the view down Uttoxeter Road - on the right the Florence Works
'Elizabethan' was a trade name of Taylor & Kent
photos: Ian Bailey
The Florence Works at the time of demolition ....
Fine Bone China
Made in England
started on the rear of the works - the frontage still intact
at some time in the early 1990's the Churchill Group took over the works,
built new offices and started manufacture of Queen's ware
on the right is Calvery Street (was Lovatt Street) and the corner of the St. Mary's Works
the Florence Works - the view down Uttoxeter Road looking towards Longton
the rear of the Florence Works undergoing demolition - on the right the St. Mary Works
photos: Dean Brindley
After demolition ....
view from Lawley Street - the remains of the Florence Works wall can be seen
[in the 1950's Mount Pleasant was renamed to Lawley Street]
in the right background is the St. Mary Works of Thomas C. Wild & Sons on Uttoxeter Road
Google Street View c2009
the view down Uttoxeter Road - on the left St. Mary's Works - on the right the remains of the wall of the Florence Works
Google Street View c.2009
& Kent Ltd, Florence Works, High Street, Longton
[in the 1950's High Street was renamed to Uttoxeter Road]
Taylor & Kent Ltd, Florence Works, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent
Advert: Pottery Gazette and Glass Trade Review, April 1953
Longton - Longton was at the end of a lane which ran from Tunstall to a village at the end of the lane, hence Longton was known as Lane End, and colloquially as 'Neck End'.
Normacot Road, Longton - Normacot Road was once an important thoroughfare from Normacot to Longton Town. Many of the houses and works were demolished between the 1930's and the 1970's and the opening of the A50 road in 1997 meant that the end of Normacot Road was sealed off - so now it is a road to nowhere.