Baltimore Works (Albion Works), Albion Street, Longton
Sometimes the works were refered to as the Baltimore Works and sometimes as the Albion Works. The two works were likely one and the same, or at least occupied the same site.
The works were located on the junction of the High Street and Albion Street, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent.
Sometimes more than one company shared the works at the same time.
A fire was reported at the 'Baltimore Pottery Works, Albion Street, Longton' in 1891.
By 1950 the OS map shows that the factory had been rebuilt as 'Albion Works (electrical porcelain)' with previous lay-out still extant.
the mid 1950's Albion Street was renamed to Morpheth Street.
|1796||1829||Weston and Partners||Works
of George Weston (and partners) probably located on this site from at
least c.1799-1829. James Hull left a partnership with George, William and
John Weston in 1796,which was probably operating from the same site.
A Thomas Harley was also involved in the partnership but left in 1801; John Weston left in 1804. George and William Weston dissolved the partnership in 1815, leaving George Weston to continue the business, possibly with his son, until his bankruptcy in 1829.
|c. 1831||1858||Allerton, Brough & Green||Probable that by the 1830's the works was owned by Allerton, Brough& Green (and successive partnerships) of the adjacent Park Works (and other manufactories).|
|1880||Morley & Co.||Partnership between William Morley and Alfred Wright Steels as earthenware manufacturers - which was dissolved in August 1880. William Morley continued the business.|
Hancock and William Morley - this was a business decorating china and
earthenware - in Albion Street, Longton - trading as Hancock &
Co. and eveidently was in business as the same time as William Morley's
earthenware manufacturing business
The partnership was dissolved in May 1882.
|1880||1882||W Morley||The business was continued by William Morley in connection with his business as earthenware manufacturer at the Baltimore Works.|
|1880||1889||George & Thomas Day||Originally
in partnership with John Aidney as Aidney & Co. - this partnership was
dissollved in 1879.
George & Thomas Day were recorded at the Albion works in 1880; from c.1882-1889 George Day was in sole charge of the business.
They were operating concurrently with other manufacturers at the works.
|1882||1894||L Bentley & Co||Lewis Bentley and Co. Manufacturing earthenware|
Heath manufacturing earthenware and majolica.
Evidently shared the works with other manufacturers.
In the trade directories was originally recorded as 'Baltimore Works, Albion Street' and then from 1892 'Albion Works, High Street'
at the Baltimore Works
|J. W. Beswick||James Wright Beswick began earthenware manufacture in 1894 at the Baltimore Works, Longton. The business expanded rapidly and in 1898 took over the Gold Street Works (where they continued until 1969) which became firmly associated with the Beswick name producing the famous Beswick animals.|
|1898||1901||Robinson & Jones||William Henry Robinson was in partnership with Frederick William Jones.|
|1901||1904||W H Robinson|
|1904||??||Robinson & Beresford|
|??||1912||Walton & Co|
|1912||1921||J H Walton||China manufacturer - this company recorded their factory as both 'Baltimore Works' and 'Albion Works'|
|By 1950 the OS map shows that the factory had been rebuilt as 'Albion Works (electrical porcelain)' with previous lay-out still extant.|
|The Albion works are still (in 2014) in existence and three business's are in operation at the works: Royal Winton Pottery, Ceramic Gas Products Ltd and Taylor Tunnicliff Ltd.|
1847 map showing the location of the Baltimore Works on the corner of Albion Street and High Street
in the mid 1950's Albion Street was renamed Morpeth Street and High Street became Uttoxeter Road
the same area in 2014 - St. James's Church can be seen to the right
the Baltimore works with the bottle kilns was demolished and
a new factory 'Albion Pottery" was built with new gas fired kilns
what is now the Gladstone Pottery Museum can be seen in the top left
a modern (2014) view from the front side - St. James's Church is top left and
the Gladstone Pottery Museum (blue circle) is bottom right
the location of the St. James's Place China Works is shown by the blue rectangle
and the Baltimore Works (now rebuilt as the Albion Works) is the red oval
the light blue line is Uttoxeter Road (previously High Street) and
the purple line is Normacot Road
Barker Bros Ltd Earthenware Factory, St Jame's Church and surrounding potteries,
Longton, 1947 - Britain from Above
- click picture to go to Britain from Above -
St. James's Church is just above the centre
St. James's Place China Works is shown by the blue oval
and the Baltimore Works (now the Albion Works) is the red oval
Closer view of the St. James's Place China Works and the Baltimore Works
the group of pottery works closest to the camera includes the Duchess Works and Baker Bros
in the top left is the Daisy Bank marl hole
January 1890 advert in the Pottery Gazette for
Thomas Heath - Baltimore Works, Albion Street, Longton
Febuary 1892 advert in the Pottery Gazette for
L Bentley & Co - Baltimore Works, Albion Street, Longton
December 1894 advert in the Pottery Gazette for
J.W. Beswick - Baltimore Works, Albion Street, Longton
lines in china, jet and Rockingham
sent on application
- click picture for more on the Albion Works -
Questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks