Location and period of operation:
manufacturer at Burslem Wharf, Burslem,
T GODWIN WHARF
Views was a series of transferware prints
- in this instance the engraving was of The Capitol Building in Washington DC -
was Thomas Goodwin and 'WHARF' refers to the
location of the factory at Burslem Wharf
mark incorporates the Royal Arms and the version shown is that used
pre-1837 when Queen Victoria came to the throne
black transferware - W Penn's Treaty
|William Penn (1644 – 1718) was an early member of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), and founder of the English North American colony the Province of Pennsylvania.
He was an early advocate of democracy and religious freedom, notable for his good relations and successful treaties with the Lenape Native Americans.
ironstone three part dish with lid - black transferware - Marinn pattern
drainer in the Medina pattern
blue & white transferware platter depicting the Crystal Palace built for the 1851 Great Exhibition
the border depicts bee hives and set squares & compasses for industry and engineering,
music & instruments for the arts and agricultural scenes.
Ware with an engraving of the Cystal Palace was also made by the North Staffordshire potter Pinder, Bourne & Hope and the Glasgow potters J. & M. P. Bell and Robert Cochran & Co.
Marks and initials used on ware for identification:
T GODWIN WHARF
& B Godwin
Medina is the pattern name
this plate carried the mark of
Thomas & Benjamin Godwin (1809-34)
and Thomas Godwin (1834-54) it must have been produced just
at the time that Thomas & Benjamin set up business seperately
mark in the same style of that
used by Thomas & Benjamin Godwin
Penn's Treaty is the subject matter of the plate
Marinn is the pattern name
Mezieres is the pattern name
diamond indicates a date of 11 September 1845
for the registration of the pattern
Burslem Wharf, Navigation Road
Godwin's factory was the Canal Works at Burslem Wharf at the bottom of Navigation Road.
1879 map showing the Burslem Branch Canal and Wharf
When the branch canal was authorised by an Act of Parliament in 1797, it paved the way for Burslem to become the Mother Town of The Potteries.
Construction work was completed in 1805, 30 years after James Brindley completed the adjoining Trent and Mersey Canal.
Large quantities of china clay, stone and other raw materials were shipped in for use at the Burslem potbanks and finished ware was exported to the Americas via the River Mersey and Liverpool Docks.
Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks