| Index of all listed buildings |


Listed Buildings in Stoke-on-Trent and area

Chatterley Whitfield Colliery - lamp house


Area
Whitfield
Street
off Biddulph Road
Heritage No.
10014 A
Grade
II
Date Listed
23 February 1994
Building: Chatterley Whitfield Colliery lamp house
Location: SJ 85 SE STOKE-ON-TRENT off BIDDULPH ROAD
Description:  Colliery Lamphouse 1922. Brick with coped gables to asymmetrically pitched roofs


Chatterley Whitfield Colliery - lamphouse
 photo:
Clive Shenton   Aug 2001

 


Colliery Lamphouse, now part of a site museum of the Coal Mining Industry. 1922, with minor alterations in 1979 upon conversion into a museum reception area (now closed).

Brick with coped gables to asymmetrically pitched roofs to 4 linked parallel ranges, the north facing steeper pitches fully glazed. Later single storey lean-to cover lower parts of side walls. Front elevation (north) of 5 bays, with five 4-light windows within recessed brick panel.

Part of the lamp charging equipment has been retained in the altered interior. The building is of special interest as a large scale lamphouse built to serve a colliery workforce of almost 4000 men. The Chatterley Whitfield Colliery was in the forefront of mine electrification in the early decades of the C20, and was the first colliery to produce in excess of a million tons of coal per annum, in 1937.

 


other listed buildings at Chatterley Whitfield Colliery


next: Chatterley Whitfield Pithead Admin & Office Complex
previous: Chatterley Whitfield Pithead Baths & Canteen
 

| Index of all listed buildings |
| Tunstall | Burslem | Hanley | Stoke | Fenton | Longton | Other areas |