Burgess and Leigh - Port Street, Middleport (Burslem)
[ Example of
Ware] [ Pottery
Marks ] [ Newspaper Article ]
[ History of Burgess and Leigh ]
Nearby on the canal is Price and Kensington Potteries, Steelite, Longport Wharf and a few other potteries. Just behind and across the canal is one of H & R Johnson factories. Further up Newcastle Lane (towards Burslem) are some 18thC cottages.
This pottery began under the
name Hulme and Booth in 1851 and it was not until 1877 that the name was
changed to Burgess and Leigh.
August 1999 - name changed to Burgess, Dorling and Leigh.
A grade II listed building in Port Street,
The only totally intact working Victorian pottery in Stoke-on-Trent.
Along the frontage to the left of the archway are the Engravers & Designers then the Printers Shop and at the end the Hollow-ware pressers.
An excellent example of a linear organized factory - old potbanks were very disorganized and grouped around the bottle-kilns.
|Middleport Pottery - the arch way led to the yard and the glost kilns.
The side of the factory the long building
contains the Potter's Shop, Turners and Throwers and at the left hand end
the Slip House.
The tall chimney is probable from the hot house where the ware was dried before being fired.
|The back of Burgess & Leigh - a small entry between Burgess and the neighbouring factory, the canal in the Trent and Mersey.
|Middleport pottery from the rear - many pottery factories were build alongside the canal.
|One of the bottle kilns, the building in the front is the Joiners Shop and the low building is probably the Sagger-makers shop.
Photos taken October 1999 - S.C.Birks
If you want to print this page out then set the print to landscape.
[ Comments / Questions? email: Steven Birks ]