Stoke-on-Trent - Potworks of the week
Elder Works, Cobridge, Stoke-on-Trent
Originally named Cobridge Pottery - in 1900 renamed to the Elder Pottery Works
Occupants of the works were...
The Elder works became the property of John and George Alcock in 1835. John Alcock rebuilt the front range in 1848.
Henry Alcock & Co Ltd from 1861 to 1910 (the works were enlarged in 1880)
Soho Pottery Co (Ltd) from 1906 to 1944 (there may have been some overlap with the previous occupants - Henry Alcock & Co)
Simpsons (Potters) Ltd from 1944 to 2004
Simpson's (Potters) Ltd, Elder Works, Cobridge
in the front is Waterloo Road, to the left Hawthorn Street
on the right is St. Peters Catholic Church
© City of Stoke-on-Trent
Simpson's Works in 2008
(no longer in business)
the remains of the original arched entrance
to the works - the top of the arc and the building
to the right have been demolished leaving these pillars with the initials JA and date 1848 on them
The Elder works became the
property of John and George Alcock in 1835.
John Alcock rebuilt the front range in 1848, hence the initials “JA” and the date on the original gate posts.
Waterloo Road - Cobridge - showing a toll booth opposite the potworks c.1870
Photo: late Mr. E.D.J. Warrillow
the same view in 2001
on the left is the pottery works of Simpsons (Potters) Ltd
and St. Peters Church Hall