Master Potters in Georgian Burslem (1714-1837)
The Mechanics Institution
Location 12 on
the index map
|The Mechanics Institution
members paid a subscription to use the premises so its members were the
better paid pottery workers such as guilders, engravers, firemen and so
The Institute housed a library, a newspaper reading area and hosted lectures on the arts and technical matters.
These most unimpressive buildings are now shops in
Market Passage (which now leads to the market) but on
the 1851 map they were clearly marked as the Mechanics Institution.
Institute was used before the School of Art
opened in 1905 in Queen Street
At the top of Market passage
(where a building society stands stood the
Legs of Man Inn - in 1818 an important coaching house)
Old entrance to the Mechanics Institution.
next we go to look at the development of St. Johns Square
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks