Staffordshire Porcelain Co
page for Crown Staffordshire Porcelain Co.
Index page for Crown Staffordshire China Co.
The Crown Staffordshire Porcelain Co.
"The Art Director at Crown Staffordshire for over thirty years was J T (Jack) Jones. Born in 1898 Jack Jones joined Crown Staffordshire at the age of thirteen and worked for the company for forty-seven years. At the time of his death he was described as one of the leading designers of bone china table ware, but today he is probably known best for the range of bird groups that he designed for Crown Staffordshire. These ranged from large cockatoo figures to tiny wrens.
Crown Staffordshire made all types of tablewares and gift wares, and was noted for its powder blue and other grounds, usually combined with fine hand-painting. It continued to reproduce 18th century styles well into the 20th century. Some of the finest artists, such as Leslie Johnson (Cries of London vases), signed their work.
Both before and during World War 2 the company
produced badged ware for the fighting services, including the British and
Canadian navies. During the war they were designated as a nucleus firm
(1941) which meant that they were allowed to continue trading in their own
premises and, although Barlows of Longton were concentrated upon the Minerva
Works for the duration of the war, no earthenware was made, only bone china.
In 1948 the name of the company was changed to Crown Staffordshire China Co. Ltd. and two subsidiary companies were established, in Canada and America, to control distribution abroad. In the 1950s three quarters of total production was exported. Agents were employed in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Belgium.
In 1965 the Green family's connection with the company ceased and the company
became part of the Wedgwood Group in 1973. Christmas plates were manufactured
from 1972-1981 (1972-76 exclusively for export). From 1985 the name Crown
Staffordshire was not used, the name Coalport Ltd. (also part of the Wedgwood
Group) being used instead."
The Charles Green Collection
In 1996 Mr Charles S. Green donated to the Potteries Museum his collection of bone china and earthenware. It comprised over 500 items made by his family's pottery companies over the last 200 years. Some were items which had been passed down through the family, others had been purchased by Charles Green over the years. They were given by Charles Green in memory of his brothers, Sam Green and Frank Green, the last two members of the Green family to be involved with the company, Crown Staffordshire China Ltd.
web site: Potteries Museum
Index page for Crown Staffordshire Porcelain Co. Index page for Crown Staffordshire China Co.
questions / comments / contributions? email: Steve Birks