Crown Staffordshire Porcelain Co Ltd






 

Location and period of operation:

Crown Staffordshire Porcelain Co Ltd

Fenton

1889 

1948

 

China manufacturer at the Minerva Works, Park Street, Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent, England.
  • The Green family had been manufacturing pottery at the Minerva Works from as early as 1833. 

  • By 1876 the brothers Thomas Allen and Spencer Green were operating as T.A. & S. Green.

  • In 1889, still under the control of the Green brothers, the company was renamed as the Crown Staffordshire Porcelain Co Ltd. 

  • In 1903 it became a limited company under the name Crown Staffordshire Porcelain Co. Ltd. 

  • By the turn of the century, the company were producing a wide range of bone china products including dinner ware, tea and coffee ware, miniatures, vases, cutlery handles, door furniture and floral china baskets. In the late 1920's Crown Staffordshire pioneered the large scale production of china floral ornaments and china costume jewellery for which they became famous.

  • Both before and during World War II the company produced badged ware for the canteens of the armed forces, including the British and Canadian navy. 

  • During the war they were designated as a nucleus firm (1941) which meant that they were allowed to continue trading in their own premises and, although Barlows of Longton were concentrated upon the Minerva Works for the duration of the war, no earthenware was made, only bone china.

  • In 1946 a factory in Heron Cross was purchased to allow increased postwar production of decorated wares, primarily for export. The bottle ovens there were replaced by tunnel ovens.

  • In 1948 the name of the company was changed to Crown Staffordshire China Co. Ltd. The business continued to be owned and operated by the Green family. 

Some information courtesy: Stoke-on-Trent Potteries Museum data sheet

More on Crown Staffordshire Ware 

 


Park Street
Fenton
 


Crown Staffordshire Porcelain Co.Ltd. 
China manufacturers,
Minerva Works

from..... 1907 Staffordshire Sentinel 
'Business Reference Guide to The Potteries, Newcastle & District'

 


 


'Fine China Flowers by
Crown Staffordshire'

Advert from 1947 Pottery Gazette Reference Book 

 


 


mark on Royal Navy Mess Ware

fragment found 2021 on Bridlington Beach, East Riding of Yorkshire by Andy Haddock and his grandson Austin Colinson. 

Royal Navy Mess Ware (canteen ware) was manufactured for use on board vessels and in institutions belonging to the Royal Navy.

Different patterns and markings were used for the various ranks and ships.

In 1907 the Royal Navy went to general mess after which all crockery through out the navy was the same.

The example shown is the Crown Staffordshire manufacturers mark with the Royal Navy Government inspection & approved stamp consisting of a capital A above a fouled Anchor with the inspection number 0 below. 

 

Patterns on British Royal Navy Mess Ware 

Royal Navy Mess Ware

 

 


 


Names used on ware for identification:

CROWN STAFFORDSHIRE

 


 

Crown Staffordshire Porcelain Co. Ltd.
Crown Staffordshire Porcelain Co. Ltd.
Estd 1801

The sign says 'ESTd 1801' - and this date appears on much of the ware made by this company.

However the Crown Staffordshire Porcelain Co. was not formed until 1889 - so how did they get this date of 1801? 

According to Jewitt's 'Ceramic Art of Great Britain'.. the Minerva works were established in 1801 and via a number of companies the works eventually came into the hands of the Crown Staffordshire Porcelain Co. 

So it is the pottery factory that was established in 1801 - and not this company. 

This type of stretching of the truth with dates was not uncommon with pottery companies as they tried to show longevity. 

 


 

       

click for more information


More on Crown Staffordshire Ware 

 


Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks