John Tams (& Son) (Ltd)
Location and period of operation:
John Tams & Son Ltd
Earthenware manufacturer at Crown Pottery, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent
In 1903 John Tams took his son Edmund into partnership and traded as John Tams & Son.
The business was incorporated in 1912 - trading as John Tams & Son Ltd.
John Tams retired in 1917 and the business continued to be run by Edmund Tams and his two sons Philip & Peter.
From the mid 1960's the business was run by John Tams' great-grandsons Gerald and Peter Tams.
Gerald Tams led a buyout of the business in 1984 and the company became John Jams Group PLC in 1988.
Continued as Tams Group PLC in 2000
Crown Pottery, Stafford Street, Longton
The Pottery Gazette, American and Canadian Edition, January 1st 1880
Initials and marks used on ware for identification:
the name of the pattern is often included.
J T & S
from 1903 to 1912 the firms title was JOHN TAMS & SON
from 1912 firm retitled to JOHN TAMS LTD
various marks both
impressed and printed incorporate
the words TAMS ENGLAND
early mark of John Tams
(before '& Sons')
this mark can be
found with "J T" in
fancy script monogram as example below
this mark can be
found (c.1903-12) with
'JTS' in the centre (for John Tams & Son)
mark of John Tams Ltd
bowl bearing mark of John Tams Ltd 1912+
BRITISH & BEST
"MIKADO" is the pattern name
NANKIN WARE - c.1913+
TAMS WARE - c.1930+
ELEPHANT BRAND, VITRIFIED HOTELWARE - c.1952+
Top-o-the-world PRODUCTS - c.1955+
TAMS REGENT - c.1958+
CHININE - c.1960+
many everyday ware are impressed
or printed with the
words "TAMS ENGLAND"
click below for information on the Tams factories....
questions/comments/contributions: email: Steve Birks