Railways of Stoke-on-Trent - Potteries Loop Line
 

   

Navigate by the section headings below,
or use the "next" "previous" buttons, or if you get lost use the "index page"

Index page for the Loop Line

    Introduction | Etruria to Hanley | Cobridge to Burslem | Tunstall
Pits Hill to Goldenhill | Kidsgrove

Potteries Loop Line


next: Pinnox Junction
previous:
Newfields Branch Line
[contents: Tunstall, Newfields, Pinnox]


Tunstall Station

 

Tunstall Station - 1922
Tunstall Station - 1922

This map shows Tunstall Station on the Loop Line. Tunstall Park and the Newfield's Branch line are at the top of the map and Pinnox Sidings at the bottom right.

 

"More visible is the complicated railway network around Tunstall, still more confusing when we consider the lines planned but never built. One of these was the Tunstall Railway Co, authorised in 1864 to build a line from just north of Longport (on the main line) climbing east of Tunstall town and up to Newfields Wharf, on the road to Goldenhill and close to a tramway from Clanway colliery.....

Before this could be built, however, the Potteries Loop Line had been authorised, running through Hanley, Burslem, Tunstall and on to Kidsgrove. Though not opened until 1873-5, it cast doubt over the viability of the Tunstall Railway, but after some persuasion this was also built, albeit in two sections: one, the Tunstall Branch on the map, swung east from Pinnox Junction to join the Loop at Tunstall Junction, and was opened in 1875 (and to occasional passenger trains in 1892); further north the Newfields branch left the Loop north of the map, but because of the steepness, access to it was via a zig-zag, trains having to reverse onto a spur behind Stanley Street before climbing the branch.

This section (like the Tunstall Branch) was very steep, with a section at 1 in 37 and engines had to propel their wagons, with severely restricted loads; even so in 1923 it was the scene of a crash when a goods train ran away down the branch and demolished itself at Newfields Junction. The Newfields branch closed in 1959 (it is amazing it lasted so long) and the other lines only survived it by a few years.

Mineral lines had existed here to serve the collieries for many years. The Whitfield-Pinnox Mineral Railway, serving the major collieries at Whitfield, connected with the NSR at Pinnox Junction and also had branches westward to Brownhills Wharf and southward to Greenhead Wharf at Burslem, principally to serve coal depots. We can also see the route of a branch running north east to serve the Williamsons' old pits at Chalkey and High Lane. The Whitfield-Pinnox line closed in 1964, but almost all these lines (excepting the Loop's viaduct) now form a peaceful network of 'Greenway' paths."

Alan Godfrey

 

 

The Boulevard (was Station Road)
The Boulevard (was Station Road)
looking towards Tunstall town centre - the parapets of
the bridge over the Loop Line can be seen


view of the site of the  disused Tunstall  Railway Station 
view of the site of the  disused Tunstall  Railway Station 
now converted into a Greenway.


photos: c.1992  (John Reilly) 



Old house alongside Tunstall Greenway

photo: John Wiggin  April 2007
and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence



 




next: Pinnox Junction
previous:
Newfields Branch Line
[contents: Tunstall, Newfields, Pinnox]