also see: | schools | churches | public houses | streets |
A photo walk across Stoke Fields to Winton's Wood
A walk along Stoke Road to Howard Place and Snow Hill
|This drawing from a book
written in 1906 by William Scarratt called "Old Times in the
Potteries" illustrated the area called 'Stoke Fields' which was purchased
to build Hanley Park.
A footpath from Stoke to Hanley is running diagonally across the picture and the path crosses the Caldon Canal over the bridge. This area was described:
"Down Stoke Fields were a few whitewashed huts with patches of garden. The Victoria Road bridge existed, but for the use of the farm only. The one to the left of the park pavilion was the one on the Stoke Fields footpath. Shardruck, mounds and ventilating shafts were far more plentiful than houses."
click on the page number and/or use the 'next' button:-
|Pages on Hanley Park|
|1||Lodge, Avenue gates|
|4||Caldon Canal and bridge|
|5||The lake and boat house|
|6||Cauldon Park and gates|
|7||Map of streets around park in 2000|
|8||1898 Ordnance Survey map|
|9||Postcard of the entrance gates and lodge|
|10||Postcard of conservatory and greenhouses in Cauldon Park|
|11||Postcard of "Portland Vases"|
|12||Postcard illustrating the enactment of chartist speeches|
photos: S. Birks 2000 (unless noted)
Hanley park officially opened on Jubilee day, June 20th 1897, occupies about 63 acres (25.5 hectares) of land. Originally a large area of waste ground called 'Stoke Fields', cut in two by the Caldon Canal (which was opened 1777).
The park took five years to develop at a cost to the ratepayers of £70,000. The land was purchased from the estate of Shelton Hall.
Development of the park and lake was under the guidance of Thomas H Mawson of Windermere (he also designed Burslem Park).
The Pavilion, completed in 1896 was designed by Dan Gibson. The Bandstand was the beneficiary of Mr George Howson a local pottery owner.
From 1897 to 1939 the Hanley Park Fete was held (modelled on the Shrewsbury Flower Show), it featured a fun-fair, side shows and firework display.
The Potteries Central Horse Parade (open to anyone living within 10 miles of Hanley Town Hall) was also held annually (but it was never resumed after the second world war).
At the western end of Hanley park there is the small 12 acre Cauldon Park (better known as Flower Park).
Hanley Borough arms over the entrance to the park.
On the Hanley County Borough Arms is the Dromedary camel
this was from the Crest of the Ridgway Family.
The jugs (upper left) and the kilns (upper right) represent the pottery industry.
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks
updated: 11 Jan 2008