Turner, Goddard & Co


Location and period of operation:

Turner, Goddard & Co





Earthenware manufacturer at the Royal Albert Pottery, Parsonage Street, Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent
  • The first part of the Royal Albert Pottery was built on the south side of Parsonage Street, Tunsall by Turner, Goddard & Co. in 1866

  • Most of the output was white ironstone for the domestic, colonial and American market

  • The partners were George Wardle Turner, John Hackett Goddard, John Tomkinson and John Burgess

  • John H Goddard and John Burgess had previously been in partnership as Merchants in Longton under the title Goddard, Dale and Burgess. 

  • John H Goddard was a partner in the Goldenhill Hill Colliery Company at Golden Hill near to Longton

  • George W Turner and John Tomkinson were also partners in Turner & Tomkinson

  • July 1873 - John Tomkinson retired from the business

  • June 1874 - the partnership was dissolved and the business closed and Alfred Meakin took the works

Concurently: Turner & Tomkinson

Subsequently: Alfred Meakin



London Gazette
23rd September 1873

notice that John Tomkinson had retired from the business 


London Gazette
3rd July 1874

notice of the dissolution of the partnership
between Turner, Goddard & Burgess



white ironstone tureen with cover



white ironstone dish in a wheat pattern 

the same pattern dish was made by Turner & Tomkinson



ironstone teapot 

The finial has two lions facing the opposite direction


Marks used on ware for identification:





Royal Patent
Turner, Goddard & Co

on the use of the Royal Arms


The Royal Albert Works in 1880

- click for more on the Royal Albert Works -


Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks