& Co (Ltd)
Location and period of operation:
& Co (Ltd)
Manufacturer of earthenwares at Cobridge, Stoke-on-Trent.
The firm of Henry Alcock was started in 1861 at the Elder Pottery in Cobridge formerly operated by John Alcock.
General earthenwares were produced including white graniteware produced under the names "Ironstone China" and Parisian porcelain" exclusively for the American markets.
The firm continued at Cobridge until 1910 when the Clarence Works at Stoke were engaged. The firm then continued at Stoke under the name 'The Henry Alcock Pottery' until 1935.
Formerly: John Alcock (1853-61)
Subsequently: Soho Pottery (1906-1944)
Henry Alcock & Co Ltd became 'The Henry Alcock Pottery' based at Clarence Works, Stoke (1910-35)
The Elder Works in Cobridge, Stoke-on-Trent
- click picture for more -
see a 'walk' around the Cobridge area where the potworks were located
Plate inthe ORIENTAL pattern
mark is below..
|This plate was given as a wedding gift to Christopher Schmidt and Ernestine Petzold on
Therefore due to the wedding date it was made in 1861 or 1862.
Courtesy: Julie Brown
Initials and names used on ware for identification:
H.A. & Co
The name of the pattern is often included
HENRY ALCOCK & Co
'ENGLAND' added from 1891
'LTD' added from 1900
- click above for details on Henry Alcock marks -
questions/comments/contribution? email: Steve Birks