Location and period of operation:
manufacturer at the Phoenix Works and
(from 1856) also at the Bell
Works, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent
Previously: Read & Clementson
Subsequently: Clementson Brothers
CLEMENTSON, Joseph (1794-1871), pottery manufacturer, Hanley.
Joseph Clementson was born on 15 July 1794 at Carrigill, Cumberland. He came to the Potteries in 1811 and worked first as a collier, In 1820 he apprenticed himself to J. and W. Ridgway, and by 1832 was able to set up his own business at the Phoenix Works, Shelton, in partnership with Jonah Read.
The partnership ended in 1839. JC continued on his own, enlarging the works in 1845 and also buying the Bell Works in 1856. Early on in his partnership with Reed JC had travelled to Canada, and this laid the foundation for a successful commercial career. He retired from business in 1867 in favour of his four sons and his son-in-law, Edward Baxter, minister at Bethesda chapel, Hanley, who had married his youngest daughter Lucy.
JC served as chief bailiff of Hanley 1849-51, being unsuccessful in his promotion of the adoption by Hanley of the Public Health Act. He was an early advocate of amalgamation of the Potteries towns.
He married Martha Phillips in 1816 and had eight children. He was a member of Bethesda New Connexion church. He died at Prospect House, Shelton, in 1871. His name is continued in Clementson's Mill car park, off Clough Street, Hanley.
Francis Clementson, in 1834 a contractor of Joiners' Square, Hanley, and an elder brother of JC, is buried in Bethesda churchyard.
Sources: IGI Staffs; Jewitt; Staffs. Advertiser 26 August1871; Townley. People of the Potteries.
Scriven's 1840 report on Child Labour
includes reports on this Potworks &
testimony from the workers
Article from 1893 Trade Journal
plate by Joseph Clementson in the Claremont pattern
this plate carries the registration mark for 30th June 1856
lidded tureen and stand in the Lucerne pattern
Trio of cup, saucer & plate in the Tillenberg pattern
Marks & initials used on ware for identification:
'Claremont' is the pattern name
diamond give the date 30th June 1856
for the registration of the pattern
'Sydenham' is the name of the pattern
'Lucerne' is the pattern name
203 Greenwich St
203 Greenwich St
|The Davenport Brothers,
of New York, USA, were importers of Joseph Clementson ware and began selling his wares around 1842
Clementson had other importers including Evans and Hill in Concord, New Hampshire (Snyder 1997:45).
Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks