Clementson Bros






 

Location and period of operation:

Clementson Bros

Hanley

1865

1916

 

Earthenware manufacturers at both the Phoenix Works and the Bell Works, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent

  • Joseph Clementson had operated on his own account since 1839, he retired from business in 1867 in favour of his four sons and his son-in-law, Edward Baxter (minister at Bethesda chapel Hanley, who had married his youngest daughter Lucy). 

  • By 1893 Clementson Brothers had 275 employees. 

  • In 1910 the business became a limited company. 

 

 Previously:  Joseph Clementson 

 

 



Clementson Brothers
Phoenix and Bell Works, Hanley

The Pottery Gazette,  February 2nd 1880

The 'Established 1832' refers to the business of Read & Clementson



"The firm manufacture almost entirely for the North and South American and West Indian markets, doing at the present day a very large trade with those sources, their productions comprising white, granite, mid printed goods, such as dinner, tea, and toilet ware, etc, and they are milking a special feature at the present time of printed toilet ware, and also printed and plain semi-porcelain ware, and, having lately added a valuable plant of modern machinery to this end, they are in a position to compete favourably with any other house in the Potteries in these particular goods. 
The Bell Works throughout are fitted with all the most modern and improved machinery und appliances; seven ovens - four of which are glost and three biscuit - are kept constantly going, together with the usual hardening-on and enamelling kilns, etc.; the average number of hands employed by the firm being 275.
Every attention is paid to sanitary matters throughout the works so as to ensure the health and comfort of the operatives, and the general relations existing between Messrs. Clementson Brothers and their numerous workpeople are of the most harmonious and satisfactory character. 
In addition to the manufacture of earthenware, Messrs. Clementson Brothers are also millers, having a very large mill from which they supply other manufacturers with."

1893 trade directory

 

 


 


Jug in the Marguerete pattern
Jug in the Marguerete pattern




Clementson Bros chamber pot 




Tureen in the Lorraine pattern 

 


 


plate in the CHUSAN pattern 



jug in the Claremont pattern

this pattern was first registered on 30th June 1856
by Joseph Clementson
 


 

Marks used on ware for identification:

CLEMENTSON BROS


ROYAL PATENT STONE WARE

ROYAL SEMI PORCELAINE

SPECIAL WHITE STONE WARE

SEMI CHINA

IVORY WARE


 


Clementson Bros
England
 

the mark with the phoenix bird
was originally used by Joseph Clementson

'Marguerete' is the pattern name

marks with 'ENGLAND' are
generally 1891+


 


CLEMENTSON BROTHERS
Royal Patent Stone Ware
HANLEY

c.1870-1910

Marks with 'Limited" are 1910+ 

 


 



Royal Semi Porcelaine
Claremont
C.B.
Staffordshire
Ivory Ware

'Claremont' is the pattern name

this pattern was first registered on 30th June 1856
by Joseph Clementson
 



Royal Semi Porcelaine
C.B.
Staffordshire



Royal Ironstone China
Clementson Bros
England

style of mark with the Royal Arms

marks with 'ENGLAND' are
generally 1891+



Semi China
Clementson Bros
England

'DELFT' is the pattern name

1901-13

c.1901 the use of a crown in the mark 
was introduced in place of the Phoenix


 


Semi Porcelain
Clementson Bros
England

1913-16

 


 


click picture for more
on the Bell Works


click picture for more
on the Phoenix Works

Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks