J & G Meakin


Location and period of operation:

J & G Meakin


1859 1851 ?

2000 #

   (See sources + Potteries Museum)

in the year 2000 the production of J&G Meakin ware ceased and the Eagle Pottery
was given over to the production of Johnson Bros tableware - they produced until at
the Eagle Pottery until 2004 when manufacturing was transferred abroad.
The Eagle Pottery works were demolished in 2005.


J & G Meakin were earthenware manufacturers of domestic tableware at Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent
Prior to 1945 they made predominantly inexpensive export wares, particularly for the American market. In the 19th century the firm was well-known for its white granite (undecorated ironstone) wares in imitation of contemporary French porcelain.

In the 20th century the firm has been most widely recognised for the "Sol" wares produced between 1912 and 1963 for home and hotel use.

Post war expansion in the home market for domestic tableware resulted in the production of a wide range of traditional and fashionable shapes and patterns.

17 shapes and over 100 patterns have been identified for the period 1945-1975.

Notable designers: Post war design team of Frank Trigger, Alan Rodgers and Tom Arnold worked under the direction of I Travers-Smith (Homes Sales Manager) and they were noted for the Studio (shape 2) range 1963-late 1970s.

History of J & G Meakin

1956 Article on J & G Meakin


The founders were: James and George Meakin. They were two of four brothers (all famous potters), the sons of James Meakin.
on the Meakin brothers

Factory Sites:

1846 - 1850 James Meakin, China & Earthenware, Newtown Pottery, High Street, Longton

1850 - 1856 James Meakin, China & Earthenware, Cannon Street, Shelton

1853 - 1860 James & George Meakin, Earthenware Manufacturers, Market Street, Hanley

1859 - c1980 J&G Meakin, Earthenware Manufacturers, Eagle Pottery, Ivy House Road, Hanley

1888 - 1959 J&G Meakin, Earthenware Manufacturers, Eastwood Works. Lichfield Street, Hanley

(other small 19th century factory sites are recorded)

1890 J&G Meakin converted into Limited Liability Company (Ltd.)

1965 Traded under "Bull in a China Shop" by J&G Meakin

1968 Merger with W. R. Midwinter under "British Tableware Ltd"

1970 Taken over by Wedgwood Group

1980 "Bull in a China Shop" used as a brand name for Wedgwood group Creative Tableware Division inc. Johnson Brothers, J&G Meakin, Midwinter, Unicorn and Franciscan. 


Initials used on ware for identification:








Click on the following for more information on J&G Meakin:


The Eastwood works
The Eagle works

questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks

updated: 6 December 2005