Powell & Bishop
Location and period of operation:
China and Earthenware manufacturer at the Stafford Street Works and the Church Works, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent.
Founded in 1851 as Livesley, Powell & Co. In 1860 Mr. Livesley left the business which was renamed Powell & Bishop in 1867.
Mr. Frederic Bishop and Mr. James Watson Bishop were the partners.
Formerly: Livesley Powell & Co [1851-1866]
Subsequently: Powell, Bishop & Stonier [1878-1891]
Initials used on ware for identification:
P & B
P & B
POWELL & BISHOP
|This mark (Caduceus) was registered as a
trade mark by Powell & Bishop in 1876 and often appeared with the
initials P&B below it - the mark was also used by subsequent
|Typical printed marks used by Powell & Bishop [1867-1878] the bottom mark with the addition of "ENGLAND" is unusual as it uses the country of origin before it became mandatory in 1891|
Powell & Bishop mark using
the Royal Arms
on Royal Arms
examples of Powell & Bishop Ironstone ware:-
- click picture for
information on the Stafford Street Works -
questions/comments/contributions? email: Steve Birks