in Stoke-on-Trent and area
Post Office Building
25-31 Tontine Street
08 November 1991
STOKE ON TRENT SJ8847 TONTINE
Built 1906 by John Rutherford,
Ashlar Faced with two stories and eleven bays.
New Post Office,
Hanley - 1906
The Post Office was built with stone from the Waterloo Stone
Alton at a cost of about £13,000. Opened in October 18th 1906.
In previous years
the site was a regular venue for Batty's Circus
Post Office. 1906 by John Rutherford.
Ashlar faced. 2 storeys and attic, facade of 11
bays (1-3-3-3-1), with outer bays projecting. Central pediment
carried on paired Doric shafts and coat of arms in apex, above
basement storey with central round arched entry in stone canopy,
and round arched windows. Continuous band of 6 small windows in
central attic storey, separated by shafts serving as mullions.
Doorways in moulded stone architraves flanked by
sash windows to each side, and rounded arched doorways in outer
bays, with pedimented windows over. These advanced outer bays
have segmental pediments. Heavy entablature throughout.
NOTE: In 2007 the post office
was closed as part of cost cutting exercise and the service
moved to W H Smiths in the nearby Potteries Shopping Centre.
The main feature is the triangular
pediment supported by Ionic columns and pilasters.
On the 1898 OS map the location of the Post Office is open space
and in previous years the site was a regular venue for Batty's
Note the tram
lines which ran up
Lichfield Street across Tontine Square and along Tontine
Street as far as the junction with
Pub (formerly The Waggon & Horses)
- which is on the corner of Old Hall Street and Tontine Street.
The Post Office building can be seen in Tontine Street on the
left of the photo.
next: The Tontines,
previous: Regent Theatre, Piccadilly, Hanley