these are the works of W.H.
Goss, off London Road, Stoke
- not to be confused
(which they often are) with the Falcon Works of J.H. Weatherby
details of W H Goss ware
Henry Goss studied at the School of Design, Somerset House, London. He
initially specialised in ivory porcelain and perfected a method of
improving the finish of jewelled porcelain, and invented the body and
enamels for the heraldic china by which he is best known today. [see
biography of W.H. Goss]
to c.1870 William Henry Goss was at the Cock Works in John Street
Leese Street), off Liverpool Road. He set up in business here on his
own after working at W.T.Copelands for about a year.
moved to the Falcon Works around 1870.
1873 Goss registered a patent for improvements in manufacturer of
various items made from ceramic materials.
- His son Adolphus joined the firm and was key in developing the
souvenir trinket market.
Adolphus left the firm after some disagreements with his father.
1902 and 1905 the Falcon Works were extended.
H Goss handed over the firm to two of his other sons, Victor Henry and
H Goss died in 1906 and was buried in Hartshill Cemetary. For
probate the business and effects were valued at £59,603 14s 5d. (equivalent
of £6 million in 2013)
1913 Victor Henry died in a riding accident and William Huntley was left in charge
of the business. He was not interest in progress and the firm
gradually fell behind the times.
the business taken over by Cauldon Potteries Ltd. and continued under
the Goss name.
Goss was an exhibitor at the British Industries Fair, Birmingham. They
were listed as 'Manufacturers of Ivory Porcelain, Teaware, Preserve
Pots and Souvenirs. Art Pottery.'
business was renamed Goss China Co. Ltd.
business was aquired by Harold T. Robinson who also purchased Cauldon
Potteries and many heraldic china producers.
works closed in 1944
business and works since 1956
- the moulds and engravings were purchased by the Lawley Group Ltd.
and by this time the Falcon Works belonged to Portmeirion Potteries
Ltd. [who in 1961 aquired the business and works of Kirkhams Ltd who
operated next to the Falcon Works.]
1979 - the two remaining glost kilns
and workshop/warehouse range
were registered as Listed Buildings.
- the Goss trade mark was revived by Royal Doulton Ltd. (who has subsumed
Lawleys - and others)
2002 Portmeirion carried out a study called 'The Potteries Response On Maintenance Of The Environment (PROMOTE) LIFE PROJECT.
The original PROMOTE LIFE proposal was to build a working factory of the millennium, incorporating a Visitor Centre, on a derelict site, of about 1.3 hectares, adjacent to
the factory on London Road, incorporating the former Falcon Works
kilns and buildings. However, following a review of the Visitor Centre project,
the Portmeirion Board of Directors decided to invest in its core business, rather than develop the tourism sector.
December 2002 Portmeirion applied for listed building planning consent
for 'Part demolition of the Falcon Works and refurbishment of the
remaining area' - this application was abandoned.
- In the Stoke-on-Trent City Council 'Stoke Town Masterplan', October
2011 the Falcon Works was identified as "a beautiful site with potential for residential conversion but the market is unlikely to bring it forward in the short term and there are issues with noise from the Portmeirion works. In the medium term the proposal is a market-led approach that brings forward a residential refurbishment together with a new build element to screen the Portmeirion factory."
- the Falcon Works were sold by Portmeirion
to a company named Connexa.
1898 map showing the location
of the Falcon Works of W.H. Goss (red) and the works of H.G. Kirkham (blue)
to the right is the Newcastle to Stoke Canal
Pottery works around London
Road and the Newcastle to Stoke canal - 1935
in the centre of the picture
is the Falcon Works of W.H. Goss and the works of H.G. Kirkham
|Red outline area
||The Falcon Works of W.
|Blue outline area
||The London Road works
of W. Kirkham
||Penkhull New Road
||Edward Street (now
called Sturgess Street)
|Light blue lines
||Newcastle to Stoke
|Light blue oval
||Stoke Public Library
||Mintons Ltd. china
|Yellow outine area
||Campbell & Co. tile
in the centre is the works of
W. H. Goss and to the left is the works of W. Kirkham
in the foreground (on the opposite side of London Road) the bottle kilns
of one of Minton's factories and also the Campbell & Co tile works
the pottery works of
Portmeirion dominate the former sites of both the Kirham and Goss factories
in the top right corner the 1902-05 extension to the Falcon Works can be seen
in both photos
Bing Maps (2013)
taken at the Falcon Works - from 28DaysLater.co.uk
the images are © to the photographer.
the two remaining bottle
kilns on the Falcon Pottery site
these are downdraught glost ovens with circular hovels in a range
is a second firing to fix the glaze over the pattern
the 'hovel' is the bottle shaped exterior (the actual kiln is inside)
to the right is the kiln
inside the range
up the couple of steps is the
clammins (or doorway) into the kiln interior
around the kiln are the flues and firemouths
the iron bands (bonts) are set about 12 inches apart and run around the kiln
to strengthen it as it expands and contracts during firing
workshop and warehouse range
- built 1902-05 as an extension to the original works
Stone plaque of falcon in
falcon was used as a mark on Goss ware
a 'case' for a slipware jug
this is the master that the plaster of Paris moulds are made from
plaster of Paris moulds
liquid clay would be poured into
these moulds - the plaster of Paris absorbed
some of the water and then the clay formed a thin skin - the remains of the
liquid was poured out and the moulds split open to remove the pottery ready