Dewes & Copestake


Location and period of operation:

Dewes & Copestake





Earthenware and China manufacturer at the Viaduct Works, Caroline Street, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, England.
  • The partners were Alfred Dewes and Thomas Plant Copestake. 

  • Godden (Encyclopaedia of British Pottery and Porcelain Marks) gives the operation dates of 1895 to 1915, however a 1911 advert states "Est 1893"  

  • A notice in the London Gazette in October 1903 describes the business as "China and Earthenware Merchants" and notes that it had been "dissolved by mutual consent. However there are a number of other records/adverts which record Dewes & Copestake as manufacturing at least until 1911.




The London Gazette
23rd October 1903

notice of the dissolution of the partnership
between Dewes and Copestake


Caroline Street
  Dewes and Copestake, china &
earthenware merchants 

from..... 1907 Staffordshire Sentinel 
'Business Reference Guide to The Potteries, Newcastle & District'



Dewes and Copestake, china & earthenware manufacturers,
Viaduct Works, Caroline street

from an undated directory

China Manufacturers 

Dewes and Copestake, 
Viaduct Works, Caroline street, Longton

from an 1904 Kelly's directory of Staffordshire


Est 1893
Dewes and Copestake, 
Viaduct Works, Caroline street, Longton

The Pottery Gazette February 1, 1911


CHINA SECONDS. Gold edge, line and sprig, good assortment of Teas, Breakfasts, Muffins, Slops, Sugars, Creams, Bread and Butter Plates, in Crates of 120 dozens at 11d. per dozen, Crate and Straw, 7s. 6d. Apply, Dewes & Copestake, Viaduct Works, Longton, Staffs.

The Pottery Gazette October 2, 1911



hand painted transfer cup and saucer with gilt edging 

D & C

'L' is for Longton - the town where the 
works were located

it is unsure whether the '1900' is the year 
of manufacture or a pattern number


plate in the FLORAL pattern, which was a popular 
design by Dewes & Copestake and exported to
the USA

this pattern is in the aesthetic style

Rd N 322178
D & C

the registration number shows that the
pattern was first registered on the 20th July 1898 by Dewes & Copestake, Longton, Viaduct Works, Caroline Street




Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks