North Staffordshire Pottery Co Ltd






 

Location and period of operation:

North Staffordshire Pottery Co Ltd

Cobridge & Hanley

1940 

1971?

(See sources)

Earthenware manufacturer at the Globe Pottery, Cobridge, Stoke-on-Trent until 1934 and the Bedford Works, Shelton (Hanley), Stoke-on-Trent until c.1948.

  • In 1940 the North Staffordshire Pottery Co. Ltd was founded at the Globe pottery works by Thomas Lawley and James Hasall. 

  • In 1948 the business became part of the Lawley Group Ltd when Edgar and Thomas Lawley combined their pottery companies.

  • As part of Allied English Potteries Ltd (from 1964), the North Staffordshire Pottery Co. Ltd factory became the production unit for Ridgway Hotel ware inclding Ridgway 'Steelite' vitreous hotelware and the North Staffordshire Pottery Co. Ltd hotel ware marketed under the 'VITROCK' trade name. 

  • The North Staffordshire Pottery Co. Ltd was the last pottery company to occupy the Globe Pottery Works. The site was eventually sold off and became a car showroom. 

much of this information courtesy of Michael Perry 'A Handbook of British Pottery Manufacturers 1900-2010' 

 

Formerly: Globe Pottery Co Ltd



 


gravy boat produced by North Staffordshire Pottery in 1958

 


 


Egg cup for RAF canteens 

North Staffordshire
Pottery Co Ltd
Globe Pottery   Cobridge 

 


 


as opposed to souvenir ware, these egg cups
were for use in the armed forces canteens 

North Staffordshire
Pottery Co Ltd

GVIR
1943

recovered from an old US Army Camp in Devon
photos courtesy:
Les Sims

Under the Wartime Concentration Scheme the North Staffordshire Pottery Co. was one of the potteries allowed to continued production during the Second World War.

A number of pottery companies that produced catering ware also produced ware for the armed forces canteens during the war time, sometime they were marked with the cypher for King George VI instead of the A, B, C letters.

 

 


 

Marks used on the ware for identification:

"Strong as the Rock"

"VITROCK"

Trade names used on North Staffordshire Pottery Co. Ltd hotel ware

 


 


North Staffordshire 
Pottery Co. Ltd
ENGLAND 

mark used 1940 -1952

'WILLOW" is the pattern name

 


North Staffordshire 
Pottery Co. Ltd
ENGLAND 
RIDGWAY

mark used 1952+

same mark as the earlier period but with the addition of 'Ridgway'

 


 


Strong as the Rock

trade mark registered in 1944

 

 


N. S. POTTERY Co. Ltd.
Strong as the Rock
COBRIDGE
ENGLAND

mark used c.1945-52
the use of the town name 'COBRIDGE' indicates that the piece was made at the Globe Works

 


NORTH STAFFORDSHIRE POTTERY
Strong as the Rock
VITROCK

the numbers 5/58 indicate the production date of May 1958

this mark was used 1952+
without the use of 'Co. Ltd'
or the place names 'COBRIDGE' or 'HANLEY'

it was used after the pottery became part of the same group as Ridgway Pottery the use of the trade name continued

 


 


N. S. POTTERY Co. Ltd.
Strong as the Rock
HANLEY
ENGLAND

mark used c.1945-52
the use of the town name 'HANLEY' indicates
that the piece was made at the Bedford Works

the number 11 stands for November - 
the year date which would have appeared below is missing

this fragment was found (2015) in the garden of a 
Staging Accommodation House near Wellington, New Zealand

 



the Globe Works in Cobridge

- click picture for more information -  



the Bedford Works in Shelton (Hanley)

- click picture for more information -  


Questions, comments, contributions? email: Steve Birks